The holidays are a time for joy, family, and, of course, dazzling decorations! And what better way to spread cheer than with a beautifully lit home? But before you go overboard with extension cords and tangled strings of lights, let Anthem Electrical Services share some tips and tricks to make your holiday lighting safe, efficient, and oh-so-festive!
Planning is Key:
- Map it out: Before you start stringing lights, sketch a rough outline of your desired lighting design. This will help you estimate the number and type of lights you need and prevent tangled mess later.
- Choose the right lights: Opt for LED lights whenever possible. They’re energy-efficient, long-lasting, and come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Consider the power source: Will you be using extension cords? Make sure they’re outdoor-rated and in good condition. Don’t overload them – follow the recommended wattage limit.
- Inspect your lights: Before hanging them up, check for broken bulbs, frayed wires, or damaged sockets. Discard any faulty lights immediately.
- Use GFCI outlets: Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets for outdoor lighting. GFCIs automatically shut off power when they detect a current imbalance, preventing electrical shock.
- Mind the weather: Secure your lights firmly to withstand wind, snow, and ice. Disconnect them during storms and heavy rain.
- Power it down: Turn off your lights before leaving the house or going to bed. It’s not just energy-efficient, it’s also a safety precaution.
- Mix and match: Don’t just stick to strings of lights. Experiment with lanterns, icicle lights, spotlights, and even net lights for a layered and captivating effect.
- Highlight your trees: Wrap trunks and branches with lights to create a magical forest-like atmosphere.
- Outline your windows and doors: Frame your windows and doorways with cascading lights for a warm and inviting welcome.
- Don’t forget the roof: String lights along your roofline or eaves for a sparkling overhead display.